Interest in medical work in Ghana began in 1952 when missionary doctor, Dr. Ed Law, attended the then Gold Coast Baptist Conference. He reported to the Nigerian Mission on the medical needs he saw in Ghana. At the Conference, it was revealed that half of the leprosy cases in Ghana were from the northern Ghana and there was the need for intervention. No action was taken at that time due to the shortage of personnel. In June of 1955, Dr. Goldie, along with Dr. George Faile came to Ghana to attend the ninth annual session of the Ghana Baptist conference. The conference enthusiastically received the suggestion that work might be undertaken, and responded by raising £90.00 as a contribution to this work.
The two doctors along with Reverend and Mrs. Doug Cather went north from the Eastern Region. After meeting with various government authorities, it was agreed that Nalerigu, in the Northern Region, was a good site. August 1955 saw the Nigerian Mission voting to assign Dr. George and Mrs. K Faile to Nalerigu. It was in March 1956 that the Failes were transferred to Ghana, just before going on furlough. Negotiations for the land began in late 1955. After approval by government officials and Naa Sheriga Abdulai, Paramount Chief of Mamprugu, a 763 acre site was granted.
July 1958 saw the Ghana Baptist Mission meeting in annual session at Nalerigu. On August 2, 1958, the hospital was declared opened with appropriate ceremonies. One of the other major health concerns of the time was the treatment of tuberculosis. August 20, 1958 saw the first baby born at the hospital in Nalerigu and was appropriately named John the Baptist who is currently the Chief Accountant of the Hospital (Chief John Tayari)
The medical work in Nalerigu was an expression of Christ’s compassion and love. During this time, the missionaries also saw the need for training leaders to lead the various preaching stations in the area and courses were taught in how to minister and witness as well as sermon preparation and delivery. The expatriate health officers who were posted to the hospital also combined evangelism with their core jobs
In October 2014 International Mission Board turned over administrative and financial responsibility of the hospital to Ghana Baptist Convention, even though this decision started as far back 2008 it became materialized in October 2014.It is currently managed by the Ghana Baptist Convention under the Christian Health Association of Ghana (CHAG).
According to the constitution of Ghana Baptist Convention, BMC shall be autonomous in function and governance and shall be governed by a Board which shall be accountable to the Convention Annual Session .The Board members is made up of Representatives of the Mamprugu Traditional Council, East Mamprusi District Health Administration ,Nalerigu Baptist Association, Baptist Health Secretariat ,Ghana Baptist Convention Hospital Administrator ,Medical Director and other management and health experts. The management of the hospital is also made up of the Hospital Administrator as the head of the facility with the following membership: Medical Director, Nurse Manager, Pharmacist In-Charge, Accounts Manager, Chaplain, Public Health Co-ordinator and Workers Representative.
The Baptist Medical Centre in Nalerigu, Ghana is a venerable and well respected Baptist Mission hospital. The hospital is a beacon of light for the gospel in this part of the world. The hospital has a reputation; people come from all around the country and it’s neighborhoods to seek treatment.
The hospital is located at the East Mamprusi Municipal in the North East Region of Ghana. 103 miles northeast of Tamale, 68 miles southeast of Bolgatanga in the Upper East Region, and 37 miles approximately from the Togo boarder. It serves a large area of the Northern, Upper East Regions and some patients come from Togo and Burkina Faso as well.
Apart from being the leading health care provider for the people, BMC serves as the Municipal Hospital for the East Mamprusi Municipal. It is also the largest employer in the Municipal and provides job and livelihood to the local people as most of the hospital personnel are local people who were recruited and trained for the service delivery.
Currently, it is a 310 bed facility with a separate 70 bed TB village and a Standard Public Health department which oversees the Nalerigu sub-district with total staff strength of 485 comprising all categories of clinical and non-clinical staff. The OPD attendance and total admissions for the year 2020 were 83,173 and 17,903 respectively. Surgeries and Deliveries in 2020 were 2,387 and 3,305 respectively.
The range of services being provided includes; a 24 hour outpatient service, administration and support service, surgery, internal medicine, paediatrics, obstetrics and gynaecology, anaesthesia, dental care, laboratory, radiology, Diagnostic Services, reproductive and child health, ultrasound, pharmaceutical services, Health Information ,catering services, STI/ART clinic, mortuary services, laundry, CSSD services and other specialized clinics
- Ministry of charity
- Comprehensive TB treatment centre (Alafia Fong)
- BMC was the center of attention in Ghana during 1997. A Severe Cerebrospinal Meningitis outbreak plagued our area. Hundreds of people flocked to the hospital. The then president of Ghana, Flt. Lt. Jerry John Rawlings, made two special trips to the BMC during the epidemic. He awarded the hospital and its staff the Ghana Medal of Honour for the dedicated service that they bestowed upon the people of Ghana.
- BMC was treating Leprosy patients free of charge until 1960 when Ghana government assumed full responsibility for all leprosy patients.
- One of the other major health concerns in 1960 was properly treating tuberculosis. During the period, patients on TB were admitted to the ward and later discharged to come weekly for their drugs, but they were defaulted. Hence, the construction of Alafia Tinga (Village of Good Health). When a TB patient now comes to the BMC, they will be admitted to the Isolation Ward at the hospital. When the patient is discharged from the hospital, they move to Alafia Tinga as long as they are on treatment.
- In 1974, Dr. Edward Mahama was the first Ghanaian doctor to join the medical staff of the BMC. As a school boy, Dr. Mahama worked at the hospital during the holidays. The hospital sponsored him through medical school in Ghana. After three (3) years of service, he resigned to continue his education in the states. Now, Dr. Mahama resides in Accra and is an active politician in the country.
- The first Cornea transplant was done in Ghana by the Baptist Medical Centre – Nalerigu in 1967.
- In 2016, the Best Nursing Officer was awarded to a staff of the facility.
- The Baptist Medical Centre, Nalerigu serves about 500 patients daily.
The facility serves as a source of employment for the community and improves livelihood